Recent news coverage:
- Magistrate: Non-debtor has standing to sue. North Carolina Lawyer’s Weekly (January 18, 2010). News coverage of a favorable decision in the case of Johnson v. Bullhead Investments, LLC, et al., in which Suzanne Begnoche represented a plaintiff who had been wrongfully sued over someone else’s debt.
- New debtor-protection legislation puts the big chill on debt buyers. North Carolina Lawyer’s Weekly (May 17, 2010). Suzanne Begnoche is interviewed about her opinion on the impact of the Consumer Economic Protection Act of 2009, which sets new rules for debt buyers who file collection lawsuits.
- Debt buyers in N.C. dip their toes into a newly pro-consumer pool. Dolan Media Newswire (June 7, 2010). Suzanne Begnoche is interviewed regarding a collection lawsuit brought against a consumer by debt buyer Cavalry Investments, LLC.
- American Idol Winner in Lawsuit. United Press International (August 8, 2010). Suzanne Begnoche explains North Carolina laws on criminal conversation and alienation of affection.
- Debt collection industry’s methods draw scrutiny. The Virginian-Pilot (January 30, 2011). Suzanne Begnoche is interviewed about North Carolina’s regulation of debt buyer lawsuits.
- Wage garnishment bill would allow creditors broader access to paychecks. The American Independent (February 2, 2011). Suzanne Begnoche is interviewed about the possible effects of a proposed bill to institute wage garnishment in North Carolina to satisfy civil judgments.
- Debtor wins rare verdict in federal collections abuse case. Hamilton County Herald (May 13, 2011). Coverage of the jury verdict in favor of Suzanne Begnoche’s client in the case of Russell vs. Absolute Collection Service, Inc.
- Triangle hospitals plague financially distressed. News & Observer (April 24, 2012). Suzanne Begnoche is interviewed about medical debt collection issues and the jury verdict in favor of her client in the case of Russell vs. Absolute Collection Service, Inc.